Andrew, that is my understanding as well from previous research.  Basically, once you file, assume the status is approved.  The status will be retroactive to the date of filing.

It's the IRS' was of saying, we know we'll take a while, so don't wait up on our account.

Shaun Carlson
Director of Information Technology | Arvig
ph: (218) 346.8673 | em: [log in to unmask]

On Mon, Oct 24, 2016 at 10:28 PM -0500, "Andrew Hoyos" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> On Oct 24, 2016, at 10:19 PM, Richard Laager <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
> On 10/24/2016 09:56 PM, Larry Patterson wrote:
>> So assuming paperwork happens in a timely fashion, donations after the
>> filing date would be tax deductible for 2016?  Is that the agreed upon
>> direction?  If so, I would suggest we get some end of year charitable
>> giving going on.  I would be interested in participating.  What do the
>> lawyers say about 2016 vs. 2017 status?
>
> Assuming the IRS accepts our application, I'm not sure how retroactive
> it will be.

IANAL, but:
https://www.irs.gov/charities-non-profits/tax-law-compliance-before-exempt-status-is-recognized
and https://www.irs.gov/charities-non-profits/charitable-organizations/contributions-to-organization-with-irs-application-pending

Seems to imply that 2016 contributions would be safe (as long as the MICE legal entity was planning on filing a 990 for 2016 for income/donations received).

--
Andrew Hoyos