On Oct 24, 2016, at 11:29 PM, Doug McIntyre <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 24, 2016 at 08:22:46PM -0500, Andrew Hoyos wrote:
>> Also, given how big MICE has become and some of the players involved, I’d think we can do better than 3 days advance notice on service affecting work that will take down the the majority of the IX?
>
> OOTH, if you get out past 7 days you have the problem that people
> forget about the window, and are blindsided by it actually happening.
> I get more complaints about further out windows than shorter.

Hrm, 7-10 days seems to be industry standard for this sort of thing, and in practice, I personally have never had anyone complain about providing *more* advance notice for service affecting work. Calendars and all…..

> I would typically aim for 6 days, but didn't want to do it during MEA,
> and now Holloween is coming up as well. Given 2.5 solid days (not
> weekend), went with a window that fit around my and other's schedule.

Understood, and truly appreciate you volunteering to do the work, however, what about the input of the other 60+ members of MICE into this? Unless I've completely missed something, this all seems very unstructured and ad-hoc.

Board folks and community - I’d encourage some more discussion here on governance of the technical side of the IX, including how and when changes are scheduled/approved, and perhaps some formalization of a technical committee. I think we’ve reached a point where continuing to do things ad-hoc paints a shaky picture.

--
Andrew Hoyos