> If we’re going the annual route - any reason/logic behind why the 20g -> 80g range seems to carry a disproportionate amount of the fee load?

The networks in this range are moving the bulk of the traffic on the IX

> Why shouldn’t all 10g ports just be $250/yr? With this layout, I fear that the “Big Guys” will think you’re dumping the fee load (and downstream equipment cost) onto them by forcing 100g ports at that cost for n x 10g. Seems like being agnostic on a port level  (no matter how many you have) would be a better move.

Looking at the overall economics to a member the cross connect cost dominates the spend. Specifically when doing lag. If you take the annual fee and convert it to monthly it works out to be about $83 dollars with a $200 cross connect for a monthly total of $283 on a second port.

For example 4 member 10G lag (monthly):

Port 1 $200+$21=$221
Port 2 $200+$83=$283
Port 3 $200+$83=$283
Port 4 $200+$83=$283
Total                     $1070 per month

A single 100G
Port 1 $200+$250=$450 per month

This leaves room to cover the incremental 100G optics cost. If the 10G ports were free the 100G would still be a better deal for the big guys.

> I’d also disagree with not allowing multiple 1g ports for customers into a LAG. For small bootstrapped companies, that 1g -> 10g jump can be expensive, and 2xGigE LAG doesn’t seem like a problem in the case where they are hitting that 60-70% on a GigE. Given the Arista architecture and depth of buffers there, I wouldn’t see any technical issue leaving the EX4550 hanging off the 7504, just for 1g customers, if you’re worried about burning “expensive” ports.

Again the cross connect fees dominate the economics at the 1G level. For the initial hardware costs. 1G lag would be allowed on the remote switches if the remote switch operator allowed it. I think all the remote switches would allow it, Neutral Path certainly would. I don't think we've had a request for a 1G lag since we had 10G available on the main switch. All of the aggregate traffic on the "1G" switch is peaking at less than 1G.

Inline image 1

Jay