On Dec 1, 2016, at 9:39 AM, Jason Hanke <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> USI has arranged for Arista Networks to donate a 7504 switch with
> 32x100G and 96x10G ports with one year of support. In year 2, MICE
> would be responsible for the ongoing support costs about 14k per year.
> There would be one additional slot for future growth.

That’s awesome, thanks USI and Arista!  Seems like a no brainer to proceed with that option.

> Here's what I'd propose:
> 1G ports= Free (Only 1 port per member, NO LAG allowed)
> Initial 10G port= $250 Annual
> Each additional 10G port $1000 Annual per port (up to 8 member LAG allowed)
> 100G port $3000 Annual per port

If we’re going the annual route - any reason/logic behind why the 20g -> 80g range seems to carry a disproportionate amount of the fee load?
Why shouldn’t all 10g ports just be $250/yr? With this layout, I fear that the “Big Guys” will think you’re dumping the fee load (and downstream equipment cost) onto them by forcing 100g ports at that cost for n x 10g. Seems like being agnostic on a port level  (no matter how many you have) would be a better move.

For comparison on a IX that charges yearly and is non-profit like MICE, NWAX might be a good example, which is charging:

1gbps Port	1st port FREE - additional, $295/month
10gbps Port	$295/month
100gbps Port   $1995/month + $6000 NRC

I’d also disagree with not allowing multiple 1g ports for customers into a LAG. For small bootstrapped companies, that 1g -> 10g jump can be expensive, and 2xGigE LAG doesn’t seem like a problem in the case where they are hitting that 60-70% on a GigE. Given the Arista architecture and depth of buffers there, I wouldn’t see any technical issue leaving the EX4550 hanging off the 7504, just for 1g customers, if you’re worried about burning “expensive” ports.

Food for thought, YMMV, etc.

-andrew

--
Andrew Hoyos