On Fri, Feb 17, 2017 at 07:25:14AM -0600, Mike Horwath wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 17, 2017 at 12:37:05AM -0600, David Farmer wrote:
> > BIRD 1.6.3 support it, so I'd like to suggest we think about a third route
> > server for testing with BGP Large Communities.  If that goes well then
> > phase it in with the production servers maybe toward the end of 2017 when
> > more of the implementations for big iron routers make it in to production
> > code,
> >
> > What do others think?
>
> Quick view: I don't see why upgrading to 1.6.3 and turning it on for
> just folks wanting it could be done - just don't pass them onto other
> users.

I would think as well just to upgrade the BIRD code all around anyway
at some point, and let people test. AFAIK, the source end has to
enable them and specificly configure them in order to use them. They
haven't fundementally changed anything, just added on new attributes.

Large Communities has already rolled out in most hardware's code, even if the
RFC just came out, they've already been doing it in some fashion for a while.
https://labs.ripe.net/Members/emileaben/large-bgp-communities-largely-accepted-now

As somebody was discussing with me, there are several ways of doing
setup with them (especially in the Cisco universe), and the BIRD
documentation has absolutely zero info on doing any of it right
now. Any information is only embedded in the source code.

                    ~.~ ipHouse ~.~