On Wed, Apr 26, 2017 at 08:07:45AM -0500, Andrew Hoyos wrote:
> I would suggest that perhaps we look into filtering BGP (tcp/179)
> with an ACL prior to maintenance start on those specific ports being
> moved.  Many other IXs are doing this for maintenance as a way to
> gracefully take things down, and let bilateral and RS sessions time
> out without killing active traffic. As we've noticed, not all
> members being moved are bothering to shut down sessions prior, which
> causes impact to/from those members.  (i.e.:
> https://ripe67.ripe.net/presentations/374-WH-IXPMaintReduce.pdf)

Don't even need ACLs.

Just take down the route servers for the 2 hour period.

Bilateral are unaffected and they can arrange things anyway with their
peers.

Adding another step to the process creates more complications as well,
and another point of failure if you screw up along the way.

Clean shutdown of bird is easier, quicker, and will for sure make the
multilateral peering not be further affected by bouncing repeatedly.

> As an aside, thanks Jeremy for doing all this move work, it's not a
> small effort and definitely appreciated.

+1

--
Mike Horwath, reachable via [log in to unmask]