John,

	There are several factors as to why this is done during the day.  It all goes back to your 35 years of experience in the industry.  The fact is that over 99% of the industry is for profit.  Not only has MICE always aimed for nonprofit status, they are also 100% volunteer based.  I have been volunteering for MICE since they came to be 7 years ago.  Also up until this last year MICE did not charge any fees, and now the fee is so minimal, and not even completely mandatory, it is just more than enough to cover the maintenance contract on the switch.  When everything is 100% volunteer, it is difficult enough to get volunteers, let alone ones willing to show up in the middle of the night.  Cologix was kind enough to offer to move all cross connects for free as long as it was done during normal business hours.  Members always had the option to pay Cologix to move their cross connect in the middle of the night.  As far as I know no one took Cologix up on that.  I feel the main reason is since we are all multi-homed running BGP, as long as enough notice is given, BGP can be gracefully shutdown prior to the maintenance, and there are no real issues.  I am sorry that your equipment did not perform as expected.  The remote switch you are connected to was part of the maintenance, and the maintenance notification did state that all members connected to the remote switches listed should shutdown BGP ahead of time as well.  As for a refund, whenever I run into a potential member looking for a service level agreement, I point out how all service agreements in the industry offer you a portion of what you paid depending on the duration of the outage.  Since MICE has been free for the last 7 years, any portion would still be 0.

Jeremy

-----Original Message-----
From: MICE Discuss [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of John Unger
Sent: Wednesday, April 26, 2017 6:52 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [MICE-DISCUSS] Arista Round 3 Moves

Jeremy, why are we doing these moves during the day? This does not make sense to me? Having been in this industry for over 35 years this is just crazy? Nobody does maintenance during the day?

Yesterday's maintenance caused our switch to have problems and we were not even part of the move??

Is MICE issuing credits for outages??