From: MICE Discuss [[log in to unmask]] on behalf of Mike Horwath [[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Wednesday, April 26, 2017 6:03 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [MICE-DISCUSS] Arista Round 3 Moves

On Wed, Apr 26, 2017 at 09:34:21AM -0500, Andrew Hoyos wrote:
> I???d disagree. The maintenance currently taking place affects more
> than just the route servers. Plenty of people are doing bi-lateral
> peering on MICE, and that *IS* affected by maintenance events like
> these.

Right - but that's for the bilateral peers to work on.

Forcing the issue by adding an ACL that they may not have asked for
seems kind of .. intruding.

> Adding an ACL to the port ensures graceful shutdown/end of traffic,
> rather than an abrupt drop and hold timer fun.  I???d much rather
> that someone running the maintenance and in control of the ultimate
> link up/down events be the one deciding when things are
> starting/ending and re-enabling traffic gracefully.

I don't know if everyone accepts that.

I'm playing devils advocate only.

> > Clean shutdown of bird is easier, quicker, and will for sure make the
> > multilateral peering not be further affected by bouncing repeatedly.
>
> Yes, great for MLPA, but not for bilateral.

Bilateral users are already adding to their complication by having
many more peers than just going multilateral.

> Why break everyone and cause a total route server outage, when
> it???s not necessary at all?  Yesterday???s maintenance only
> affected a portion of members. ACL???s on member ports would be the
> cleanest way to minimize outage duration for all members with the
> least impact to the IX as a whole.

That member would have still been affected and would not have helped
reduce the noise.

--
Mike Horwath, reachable via [log in to unmask]