just like the good old days.

On a nice summer evening, July 28th, 1995, most of Minnesota got disconnected from the rest of the Internet. And in spite of all the buzz we've heard about information warfare, hacker terrorists and the Internet "being able to survive a nuclear attack", it was bums under the bridge that did it.

Transients had broken into a USWest work area under the Washington Avenue bridge and set up housekeeping. One possible reconstruction of the events: one, a sleeping drunk. Two, a runaway cigarette. Three, a burning blanket. Four, fiber-optic cables toasted to a crisp. A Minnesota Daily article suggests that the fire may have been set on purpose, since the transients had been told to move out by University Police not an hour before.

here's a link - http://www.skypoint.com/members/gimonca/burnin.html