On 27.10.2017 15:01, Matthew Beckwell wrote:
> For my own curiosity:
>
> I've seen quite a few networks in the last year or so connecting
> themselves to other out-of-market IX's (I presume getting some cheap
> wavelengths and bringing it back to Minnesota).
>
> A couple of questions for those of you that are doing this:
>
> 1. I'm assuming this is enabling you to accommodate requirements from
> other networks that require peering at multiple locations, even though
> technically your network doesn't really extend that far (or maybe it's
> something else?).

For us, the goal is to reach networks which are not on exchanges which
we're already connected.  The big ones are at MICE, but there are other
exchanges we can get to reasonably inexpensively that have such a large
number of networks connected that it makes sense financially (compared
to buying more transit).  Traffic from a huge number of ASNs,
particularly if most are on a route server, can really add up.

Peering in multiple locations is a nice benefit to this, but usually not
a primary goal for us.

> 2. How are folks monitoring, managing, or manipulating this
> out-of-market traffic? (Using BGP MED, Prepending, Localpref, or some
> other mechanism to "prefer" your traffic enter and exit closer to
> where you really are?)

If you haven't already, install as-stats
(https://github.com/manuelkasper/AS-Stats) to monitor things, which will
make it clear if something is out of whack.  In most cases, our IGP
handles outbound traffic in a way the makes sense.  Inbound traffic can
be trickier - a few networks will publish action communities or accept
MEDs, and we utilize those tools when available.  Prepending is
occasionally useful.  Announcing more specifics in certain spots always
felt like a jerk move so I tend to avoid that, but that's a thing I
suppose.

--
Colin Baker
SupraNet Communications, Inc.

This message is subject to the SupraNet Email Confidentiality Policy
which is located at http://supranet.net/confidentiality