For my own curiosity:

I've seen quite a few networks in the last year or so connecting themselves to other out-of-market IX's (I presume getting some cheap wavelengths and bringing it back to Minnesota).

A couple of questions for those of you that are doing this:

1. I'm assuming this is enabling you to accommodate requirements from other networks that require peering at multiple locations, even though technically your network doesn't really extend that far (or maybe it's something else?).

2. How are folks monitoring, managing, or manipulating this out-of-market traffic? (Using BGP MED, Prepending, Localpref, or some other mechanism to "prefer" your traffic enter and exit closer to where you really are?)

I've seen some funny business with these kinds of network arrangements.    Google DNS responses coming from SIX......CloudFlare cache response coming from Omaha IX.

It seems like it's "the Chicago problem" (that MICE was founded to avoid) all over again-- except this time around we're doing it with private links all over the country instead of public transit?

Just curious what people have found to be best practices with this type of arrangement.

~Matthew