Yes we saw issues from 6:50 to about 7:20 as well. None of our BGP sessions dropped to cogent, HE, or MICE but our customers noticed it and I did see a drop in traffic during that time..

It's stumped me and I'm glad I'm not the only one since I thought it was internal to our network but it appears not.

On Thu, Jun 20, 2019, 12:30 PM Jeff Wilde <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

On a separate note, did anyone experience very intermittent Internet issues last night for about 30 minutes or so?

Jeff Wilde

IT Manager

Park Region Telephone Company

P: 218-826-8330

E: [log in to unmask]

From: MICE Discuss <[log in to unmask]> On Behalf Of Andrew Hoyos
Sent: Thursday, June 20, 2019 11:48 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [MICE-DISCUSS] ADV: [MICE-DISCUSS] Blackholing DoS traffic

On Jun 20, 2019, at 11:39 AM, Doug McIntyre <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

On Thu, Jun 20, 2019 at 04:33:12PM +0000, Frank Bulk wrote:

https://www.seattleix.net/blackholing

Does MICE have an blackholng functionality  equivalent to SIX?

I was visiting with a DDoS mitigation vendor this morning and was curious if there was a way we could automatically mitigate DoS attack traffic coming from a MICE peer.

You can adjust the routing with communities, ie. in the MICE communities aera of
http://micemn.net/technical.html

you could block-hole the AS that is sending you that traffic.

unfortunately, that just has the effect of traffic going elsewhere - not a blackhole effect. the communities in place would just cause the route not to be advertised to said peer, and the traffic would just ingress your network via a different path. In the case of a DDOS, it’s likely you have multiple ASN’s targeting you.

SIX, as an example, has a blackhole IP address, and the route servers matching a blackhole community to set next hop to this to sink the traffic on the switch fabric.

Perhaps something we should look into for MICE.

Andrew Hoyos