The first link below is an excellent article on BGP (Routing) Security, worth a read by both network engineers and C-level executives.

The second link is an article with an equally excellent list for network engineers on what they can and should do about these risks. This article includes a great list of questions for a network engineer to start a conversation with your executives ensure they know at least the high-level answers to these questions.

Thanks.

-----

What Stops a Nation-State BGP Hijack?
https://www.senki.org/what-stops-a-nation-state-bgp-hijack/

Nation-State BGP Hijack risks are real!  But, the way the Internet Operations Community keeps the Internet glued together minimizes the risk. All Organizations can do their part to minimize the Nation-State BGP Hijack. Each organization can do its part in their corner of the Internet. Collectively, this builds a more robust Internet. This post will provide tools that any organization, individual, researcher, or reporter can use to pull back the fear, understand the realities of BGP, and explore meaningful action.

----

BGP Route Hijacks & Routing Mistakes – What can be done Today?
Protecting your Business, Customers, & the Internet from BGP Route Hijacking Chaos?

https://www.senki.org/operators-security-toolkit/bgp-route-hijack/

Principle: Global Interconnection Health is a CxO Priority.

Every Business depends on their interconnection to the Internet/Telecom. That interconnection is dependent on BGP. Any large organization leadership needs to ask their staff questions:

Q. How are we connected to the Internet?

Q. How are we protecting our BGP Routes on the Internet?

Q. How do we make sure we don’t make a BGP mistake? How do we make sure we do not advertise “YouTube?”

Q. Explain to me in simple terms, our BGP based interconnection policy?

Q. What is our BGP Crisis Reaction Plan? What do we do when someone tries to BGP Hijack us from the other side of the planet?

Q. How would we know if we’re being attacked through a BGP Hijack?

David Farmer               Email:[log in to unmask]
Networking & Telecommunication Services
Office of Information Technology
University of Minnesota
2218 University Ave SE        Phone: 612-626-0815
Minneapolis, MN 55414-3029   Cell: 612-812-9952