I found an interesting article in my LinkedIn feed last night on BGP
Optimizers;

https://www.itnews.com.au/news/bgp-optimisers-seem-a-good-idea-until-they-bring-down-the-internet-530928
?

I'd be interesting if anyone in the MICE community is using a BGP
Optimizer? Especially one that generates more specific prefixes in BGP.

I don't want to expose anyone to ridicule, so please don't go there if
anyone fesses up, even in jest, this needs to be treated seriously.

However, if anyone is using a BGP Optimizer, especially one generating more
specific prefixes, I think it would behoove the MICE community to put in
extra defenses against propagating these more specific prefixes through the
exchange and out to the Internet in general or even our own downstream
customers.

For example we could create a MICE-DROP BGP Community that we can tag any
routes that should be dropped if they are (accidentally) announced to the
MICE route server or to other MICE peers, such as these more specific
routes created by a BGP Optimizer. Basically we would each add something to
our routing policy, and on the MICE route servers too, looking for that BGP
Community and immediately dropping any routes tag with it.

Also, if anyone is using a BGP Optimizer in our community that would be a
very good reason to accelerate IRR based router filtering for our exchange.

Thanks.
David Farmer               Email:[log in to unmask]
Networking & Telecommunication Services
Office of Information Technology
University of Minnesota
2218 University Ave SE        Phone: 612-626-0815
Minneapolis, MN 55414-3029   Cell: 612-812-9952