Well we can't necessarily trust them to attach the BGP Community or filter
properly, this is why if there are people using BGP Optimizers, I would
want us to accelerate IRR filtering for MICE, but even that isn't perfect.

However, the idea around a MICE-DROP BGP Community is to develop a robust
approach, belt and suspenders so to speak. For example, let's say they are
filtering but they make a mistake editing their filter, or they load new
code on their router and a bug allows routes to leak. If in a different
part of their configuration, or maybe on the BGP Optimizer itself, they set
the MICE-DROP community, then their mistake or bug still won't propagate
through MICE, because the other MICE participants or the MICE route servers
would know to drop the routes with that tag anyway. It's also why we all
need to enforce max prefix counts on our peers and on peers to the route
servers, it helps catch the unexpected mistake or bug.

Robust systems have multiple layers of protection. The break system on your
car probably has power assist of some kind, but your breaks are designed to
work even if the power assist fails, you still have manual, unassisted,
hydraulics through the break pedal, and if the hydraulic system completely
fails, you have a emergency break with a cable attached to a lever that can
use to engage the breaks.

Something like a MICE-DROP BGP Community allows responsible peers to
implemnet robust filtering of their routes, where even if something fails
on their side, maybe something our our side can catch the failure and
prevent it being propagated.

Thanks.