We run across these a lot on our customer endpoints… I have found that these hinge on the single assumption BGP best practices have been followed end-to-end. Also, end user education about how they function is a serious issue. IRR is the more serious concern/project for us at this juncture to insure global reachability. +2 on the IRR!

-Sparky.

From: MICE Discuss <[log in to unmask]> On Behalf Of David Farmer
Sent: Wednesday, September 18, 2019 4:43 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [MICE-DISCUSS] BGP Optimizers

I found an interesting article in my LinkedIn feed last night on BGP Optimizers;

I'd be interesting if anyone in the MICE community is using a BGP Optimizer? Especially one that generates more specific prefixes in BGP.

I don't want to expose anyone to ridicule, so please don't go there if anyone fesses up, even in jest, this needs to be treated seriously.

However, if anyone is using a BGP Optimizer, especially one generating more specific prefixes, I think it would behoove the MICE community to put in extra defenses against propagating these more specific prefixes through the exchange and out to the Internet in general or even our own downstream customers.

For example we could create a MICE-DROP BGP Community that we can tag any routes that should be dropped if they are (accidentally) announced to the MICE route server or to other MICE peers, such as these more specific routes created by a BGP Optimizer. Basically we would each add something to our routing policy, and on the MICE route servers too, looking for that BGP Community and immediately dropping any routes tag with it.

Also, if anyone is using a BGP Optimizer in our community that would be a very good reason to accelerate IRR based router filtering for our exchange.

Thanks.

David Farmer               Email:[log in to unmask]
Networking & Telecommunication Services
Office of Information Technology
University of Minnesota
2218 University Ave SE        Phone: 612-626-0815
Minneapolis, MN 55414-3029   Cell: 612-812-9952