I’d argue that dedicated hardware could fail in an unknown way, just the same as a shared device.

To the "MICE Core", the action to fix it would hopefully be the same - sever the connection to the downstream switch and isolate the failure area (whether automated - pps limits for bcast/mcast traffic, mac limits, etc, or manual port shutdown).

MICE should enforce certain standards that ensure remote switch operators are following any requirements - same if dedicated hardware or shared hardware.

Andrew Hoyos

On Dec 2, 2019, at 4:13 PM, Jeremy Lumby <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

                One reason I am very much in favor of dedicated hardware is isolation of the unknown.  As any seasoned network professional knows, things rarely fail in a way that you expect.  The more complicated things are, the more likely that unintended things can happen, especially in the case of a failure, and the more functions a piece of equipment is doing the more widespread the failure.

                I think those of us that have been on MICE for some time can even remember some examples.  The one that comes to mind is when the MICE core was 100% Juniper.  We would have IX wide outages caused by the Juniper switches flooding everyone’s ports to capacity with other member’s unicast traffic.  This was obviously not a feature, user error, or a setting in the switch.  On at least one occasion a software update was done that specifically stated it fixed the bug, and unfortunately it did not.  Some of these Juniper switches are still in operation in the MICE core for the 1G ports.  Since the switches were connected with proprietary Juniper stacking cables, they acted as one amplifying the problem.  The switches still have the unicast flooding problem 1-2 times per year.  The difference is that it is isolated to those 1G members, so it is not as noticeable since it is isolated, and no longer impacting the majority of members on the IX.  We see that the larger networks/CDNs that connect to MICE always request as much diversity as possible whether it be on separate linecards, or switches.

From: MICE Discuss [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Ben Wiechman
Sent: Monday, December 02, 2019 2:18 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [MICE-DISCUSS] WiscNet Remote Switch / Dedicated Remote Switches

My concern would be protecting the integrity of the exchange. Just because there have been no issues, doesn't mean there will be no issues at some point. This doesn't necessarily require dedicated hardware, nor does dedicated hardware necessarily guarantee this. A request to disclose practices in place today sent to those that currently maintain shared extension switches would be a good starting point in achieving a better understanding of the potential risks and help identify potential best practices that are already in place in addition to the suggestions already offered by Steve.

Ben Wiechman
Director of IP Strategy and Engineering
Arvig | 224 East Main Street | Melrose, MN 56352 | arvig.com