On 9/14/20 3:55 PM, Richard Laager wrote:
[log in to unmask]"> The MICE UG 36 meeting will be held Wednesday, October 7, 3:00 pm, online at: https://meet.google.com/zgg-eeyu-dxz

The agenda and draft UG 35 minutes are attached.

If something goes wrong with the Google Meet, we can fall back to the phone conference: 952-562-5400 passcode MICE (6423). Note that the phone conference will not connect you to the Google Meet meeting; this is purely a backup plan.

Election

At this meeting, we will be holding an election for a board seat. The board consists of three seats with staggered terms, such that one seat comes up for re-election each year (at the fall meeting). This year, Anthony's seat is up for election.

As in the past, we will close nominations in advance of the meeting so people have a chance to instruct a proxy appropriately. Nominations will be open for two weeks (so until the end of September 28).

If we end up with only one person running (like last time), then voting is a formality. But if we end up with a contested election, we will need to vote. I don't know of a good way to do secret balloting by Google Meet, nor am I particularly familiar with separate services to do the same. Suggestions are welcome if you don't like the following plan:

My current plan is to roll call for (public) votes at the meeting to give people that option, but in practice, I'm guessing people will want to vote by email for convenience.

The bylaws state that you send proxies to the Chief Manager (me, Richard Laager), and electronic means are acceptable. So a simple email is sufficient: [log in to unmask] or, if you prefer, [log in to unmask] works too.

If you send me a vote by email (e.g. "We vote for <X>."), I will treat it as an a proxy appointment, appointing me to vote on your behalf, but restricted to only the election item and to only vote for the candidate you expressed. So then at the meeting, I will say something like, "On behalf of members X, Y, and Z, I cast 1 vote for A and 2 votes for B." This will provide some anonymization (obviously, I will know how you voted).

If you send me a proxy with different instructions (e.g. "We appoint <Y> to vote for us."), obviously that will be honored as written.

--
Richard

--
Richard