Thanks everyone.  Safe word: “1500 bytes.“

Gratefully,

Jamison

From: MICE Discuss <[log in to unmask]> On Behalf Of Ben Wiechman
Sent: Friday, June 18, 2021 2:57 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [MICE-DISCUSS] Jumbo Frames

I use MTU 9000* on all my router-to-router links because I need to be able to carry larger-than-1500-byte circuit traffic. If nothing else, circuit VLANs all need to be a bit over 1500 bytes on the outside (i.e. with my tags and possibly tags of other carriers involved) so that they are 1500 bytes on the inside. * Maybe I should/will-need-to change this to 9000 + a bit to allow for 9000 inside.

We don't typically see carriers looking for anything greater than about 2000 bytes in practice, though we also follow a similar 9000 byte configuration on our internal transport links. 1500 to the internet edge. You could fiddle with the MTU to eek out a few extra bytes for circuits, but what you're doing today already ~4x the real world use cases that we've seen.

Maybe experiences differ for providers that carry a lot of traffic between data centers.

Ben Wiechman

Director of IP Strategy and Engineering

Arvig | 224 East Main Street | Melrose, MN 56352 | arvig.com