I think the landscape of peering is changing.  Traditionally peering
enables lower latency and better performance by keeping local traffic
local.  While that's still the case, I see more and more people looking
at remote peering as a way to gain more granularity in traffic
engineering.  There's a large demand in the KC market for peering
outside the market for just that.

SIX is just about up in KC (F You Lumen...  6 months to do an XC in your
own facility?), DE-CIX is coming to KC (active but not announced yet)
and others are in the works.  There were a lot of discussions at the
KCIX table about how these exchanges coming into KC would affect the
local peering.  The answer seems to be, "Not at all."  The use cases
between local peering and remote peering are different enough that they
can coexist without market dilution.

In the future, I believe IXs will be seen more like mini, focused ISPs
used by organizations looking to branch out closer to the edge where
their customers are concentrated.

Aaron